Passaic County Coaches on TWITTER ---------->
The Passaic County Coaches honored nine new LIFETIME MEMBERS at a meeting at The Brownstone on Wednesday, December 4th. Those inducted included:
- Margaret Doherty – Wayne Hills
- Bob Dondero – West Milford
- Tim Gillen – West Milford
- John Iurato – Passaic County Tech
- Walter Johnson – Wayne Hills
- Tom Lichtenberg – West Milford
- Chris Olsen – Wayne Hills
- Conan Ward – Wayne Valley
Congratulations to Pompton Lakes HS, North 1, Group 1 State Sectional Football Champs ! The Cardinal Coaching Staff in the Metlife endzone ! (Photo by Pompton Lakes Athletic Director Colleen Moyle) JSN Video Highlights Congratulations to De Paul Catholic HS, Non-Public, Group 2 State Champions! "Raising the Non-Public Group 2 State Championship trophy at Rutgers U." (Photo courtesy of Carlin Keil) JSN Video Highlights We are pleased to announce that three members of the Passaic HS athletic family have been inducted into the NJSIAA Hall of Fame (Star-Ledger story by James Kratch). They are Ernest A. "Prof" Blood, coach of the Passaic HS Wonder Teams, and gridiron greats Craig "Ironhead" Heyward and Jack Tatum, both former NFL standouts. The induction took place on Monday, December 2 at the Pines Manor, Edison. All three are deceased but never forgotten at Passaic HS. For more background information and statistics you can contact Passaic HS AD Coaches Honor Moyle, Tanis: The Association honored Colleen Moyle and Paul Tanis, both of Pompton Lakes High School, as the 2012 - 2013 Passaic County Athletic Director and Coach-of-the-Year respectively at a dinner ceremony on Wednesday, October 3rd at The Brownstone.
RE-LIVE THE EXCITEMENT:
Passaic County Coaches Invitational Cross Country Meet: Saturday, September 28, 2013, Garret Mt. Reservation, Woodland Park, NJ.
PCCA Invitational "by the numbers:"
- 665 individual medals awarded
All Fall tournaments are complete:
- Tennis Wayne Hills champs, All-County posted
- Volleyball Passaic Valley champs, All-County posted
- Boys and Girls Cross Country Champions: Wayne Hills Girls, Wayne Valley Boys, All-County posted
We look back at one of the greatest accomplishments in sports history: the 159-game winning streak of the Passaic High School Boys Basketball "Wonder Teams." With the first win on December 19, 1919, the streak ended with a 39-35 loss to Hackensack HS in the Hackensack Armory on February 2, 1925. Coach of that team for the first 147 wins (ending his Passaic career at 200-1), was Prof Ernest Blood. Here are the dates, sites, and scores of all games. Enjoy
Source: Prof Blood and the Wonder Teams. The True Story of Basketball's First Great Coach, by Dr. Charles "Chic" Hess. Bookmasters, Inc. 30 Amberwood Parkway, Ashland, OH 44805 ($29.95 per book..... $5 s/h first book. $1 each add'l book) A GREAT read !
2013 Passaic County Football by Group
- North 1, Group 5: Clifton, Eastside, Kennedy, Passaic, Passaic County Tech
- North 1, Group 4: Passaic Valley, Wayne Hills, Wayne Valley
- North 1, Group 3: Lakeland, West Milford
- North 1, Group 2: Hawthorne, Manchester
- North 1, Group 1: Pompton Lakes- Champions !
- Non-Public Group 2: De Paul Catholic- Champions !
2013-14 Passaic County Schools ALL OTHER Sports
- North 1, Group 4: Clifton, Eastside, Kennedy, Passaic, Passaic County Tech, Wayne Valley
- North 1, Group 3: Lakeland, Wayne Hills, West Milford
- North 2, Group 3: Passaic Valley
- North 1, Group 2: Hawthorne, Manchester
- North 1, Group 1: Pompton Lakes
- North, Non-Public A; De Paul Catholic (Group 2 when combined with public schools)
- North, Non-Public B: Eastern Christian, Hawthorne Christian Academy, Mary Help of Christian Academy (Group 1 when combined with public schools)
- Charter: Paterson Science & Tech (Group 1 equivalent)
News for 2013 - 2014
- New Bracket ! The PCCA executive committee approved for a one-year trial, a new 16-team tournament bracket for boys and girls soccer in the Fall, boys and girls basketball in the Winter, and baseball and softball in the spring. The bracket (a sample is available for download here) gives the top 8 teams a first round bye and the top 4 teams a second round bye. The four first round games will be very evenly matched, even though seeded.... and 12 of the 16 teams in each tournament will start with a HOME game!
- Attention Directors of Athletics: Membership fees are overdue. Read the letter from the treasurer and download the form on our AD ONLY page
2013-2014 Tournament Summary
County Titles through Fall Season:
- Wayne Hills (6): Girls Cross Country, Girls Tennis, Girls Soccer, Boys Soccer, Field Hockey, Gymnastics
- Wayne Valley (1): Boys Cross Country
- Passaic Valley (1): Girls Volleyball
PASSAIC COUNTY COACHES ASSOCIATION, INC.
“Dedicated to serving the youth of Passaic County”
Passaic County, N.J.
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
2013 - 2014
The purpose of our association is to provide the youth of Passaic County of high school age with the opportunity to engage in athletic competition by participating in various sporting events and awarding to them medals, plaques, and the like for their individual achievements and team success. Inherent in such an undertaking is our desire to promote and foster sportsmanship, good will and respect, as well as providing the training ground upon which the participants cannot only improve their individual skills and team play, but also develop a positive attitude and aptitude towards friendly competition. Underlying all of this is that we ideally wish to help the participants develop the skills that are necessary to make the transition from sports to life and become morally, mentally, emotionally, and physically prepared to be good citizens.